Home / Our Focus
With nearly 800 members statewide, the American Academy of Pediatrics – Colorado Chapter (AAP-CO) has a long history of working tirelessly on behalf of Colorado’s children, families and healthcare providers. Our accomplishments include victories on immunization access, primary care payment reform, and enhancing access to mental and behavioral resources for pediatricians.
Our current areas of focus include…
- Advance effective prevention, early identification and treatment of behavioral health conditions
- Expand the behavioral health resources available to pediatric primary care providers
- Innovate around the delivery of behavioral health services, and payment for such services
- Reduce substance use and exposure among minors
- Support healthy, stable relationships and environments for caregivers and children
- Expand access to health care services, particularly for low income, immigrant and refugee children in rural and underserved communities
- Ensure access to nutritious food, to combat both hunger and obesity
- Reduce unintended pregnancy
- Strengthen Colorado’s public health infrastructure and health care programs for low income children, including Medicaid and Child Health Plan Plus, Vaccines For Children, Supplemental Food Program for Women, Infants and Children, and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- Help primary care providers address health disparities in the practice setting
- Increase immunization rates for all children
- Address and reduce vaccine hesitancy among caregivers
- Reduce barriers for primary care providers who provide immunizations in the medical home setting
- Improve data collection and surveillance by strengthening the Colorado Immunization Information System (CIIS)
AAP Colorado Believes
Children are inherently valuable; they are our most enduring and vulnerable legacy
All children deserve optimal health and the highest quality health care
Pediatricians and pediatric specialists are essential to quality child health care and have a unique and valuable voice serving to inform and shape health care for children.
Multidisciplinary teams, including patients and families, are integral to delivering the highest quality health care.
Because child health is shaped by conditions and experiences outside the medical setting, the work of AAP-CO needs to be done as part of a broader system of support for children and families.
Membership opportunities are available to pediatricians, pediatric medical sub-specialists and pediatric surgical specialists. American Academy of Pediatrics – Colorado Chapter (AAP-CO) provides an array of benefits and services to keep you up-to-date and informed and is the only organization that supports you through all four phases of maintenance of certification. As a member, you can be a voice for children and pediatrics.