Back to School: Strategies for Getting Kids Vaccinated and Navigating Colorado’s New Non-Medical Exemption Requirements
July 21, 2021 @ 11:30 am - 1:00 pm MDT
The COVID-19 pandemic has led many Colorado children to fall behind on routine immunizations, which could leave many students vulnerable as they return to in-person learning this fall. As the public health and healthcare community works to catch kids up, they are also preparing for the implementation of new non-medical exemption regulations resulting from passage of Colorado Senate Bill 20-163, which now requires parents to get exemptions signed by an immunizing provider or complete an education module.
On July 21, 2021, Immunize Colorado will host a webinar to help clarify how these new rules will affect school administrators, parents and providers. Public health experts from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment and American Academy of Pediatrics will discuss strategies for getting kids caught up with recommended vaccines and considerations for implementation of new exemption policies. Additionally, presenters will discuss:
- The 2020/2021 school immunization data and implications for the next school year
- New changes to Colorado Immunization Information System (CIIS) reporting requirements
- Strategies for navigating conversations with parents about non-medical exemptions
- Cassie Littler, MD – American Academy of Pediatrics, Colorado Chapter
- Stacy Parra, MD – American Academy of Pediatrics, Colorado Chapter
- Maddie Grimm – CIIS School Coordinator, Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment
- Tavio Pirocchi – Stat Analyst II, Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment
This education event is being presented for school administrators, healthcare providers, medical students, and public health students.