Newborn Hearing Screening and Congenital CMV
September 17 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm MDT
Newborn Hearing Screening and Congenital CMV:
A Knowledge Sharing Workshop for Colorado Midwives
Congenital hearing loss is the most common problem for which newborn screening is recommended, but not all newborns in Colorado are being screened, as they should. This presentation will provide midwives with information about the Colorado newborn hearing program, how to help families get a newborn hearing screen, and what happens when a baby does not pass.
Congenital CMV infection (cCMV) is the most common non-genetic cause of congenital hearing loss. Unfortunately, most cases of cCMV are missed, due to lack of awareness of risk factors and the need for testing within the first 3 weeks of life. This presentation will provide midwives with information on risk factors for cCMV, and how to help a family get their baby tested if any risk factors are recognized.
- Tiffany Jorgenson,MSN, CNM – Mountain Miracles Midwifery, Inc
- Dawn O’Brien Taylor, AuD, PASC, CCC-A – NorthStar Audiology
- Leanne Glenn, MA – Newborn Hearing Program CDPHE
- Arlene Stredler Brown PhD, CCC-SLP – EHDI Program CDHS
- Megan Weidel MFA – cCMV parent
- Ted Maynard MD, FAAP – Colorado Chapter AAP
NorthStar Audiology and the Colorado Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)